Publications & resources
ACPMH draws on our research and policy development experience to develop best practice guidelines for the assessment, screening and treatment of a range of mental health problems in the general, and military and veteran communities.
See below for information on the following guidelines:
- Australian Guidelines for the Treatment of Adults with Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
- Peer Support Guidelines
Australian Guidelines for the Treatment of Adults with Acute Stress Disorder and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Click here for information about these Guidelines.
You can download the following resources to suit your different needs at no charge. Printed copies of the Practitioner Guide and Information booklet can be ordered at no charge (postage and handling charges apply) by using the order form.
- A brief practitioner guide (PDF)
- Information for people with ASD or PTSD, their families and carers (booklet) (PDF)
- The full Guidelines (PDF)
- The complete appendices to the full Guidelines (ZIP)
- Specific populations and trauma types (PDF)
- Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders
- Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Military and Emergency Service Personnel
- Motor Vehicle Accident and other Injury Survivors
- Victims of Crime
- Sexual Assault
- Natural Disasters
- PTSD Clinical Treatment Algorithm (PDF)
(It should be noted that irrespective of any funding provided by the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA), the content of the algorithm is not necessarily the view of, and is not endorsed by, the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs or DVA.)
Treatment Guidelines DVDs
Two DVDs have been created to help bring the Guidelines recommendations to life. One has been created for practitioners and one for people in the community affected by trauma.
- The practitioner DVD explains the key elements of best practice treatment using case studies.
- The community DVD explains reactions to trauma and how treatment works. (This DVD won the FREDDIE award in 2009 at the prestigious International Health and Medical Media Awards for best health education video from anywhere in the world in the Psychiatry category.)
These DVDs were produced in collaboration with the Rural Health Education Foundation (RHEF). They are available for viewing online at the RHEF website (follow links below), or to order FREE copies, use the order form (postage and handling charges apply).
Peer support guidelines
Guidelines on peer support have been created using the Delphi methodology of obtaining consensus from international experts.
Click here for information about these guidelines.